“Burn It Off,” is the all-cardio-all-the-time workout included in the ChaLEAN Extreme® exercise program on DVD.
The slow lifting of heavy weights which comprises the rest of the program is absent for this workout.
Rather, this is a kicker l’il exercise session for the ol' ticker that contains some light jumping moves.
It’s perfect for those exercisers considering moving on to other Beachbody programs that use plyometrics (jump training) in intense cardio workouts such as P90X® and Insanity®.
But the jumping is certainly optional – the entire workout can be done low impact, which is demonstrated well by two of the women in Chalene Johnson’s crew. (Johnson is the creator and leader of the ChaLEAN Extreme program.)
The workout is 27 minutes long from the beginning of the workout to the end of the cooldown. Some of the exercises can be done with a thigh-toning band.
“Burn It Off” starts with tap the floor, which is putting the one leg back in a light lunge, touching the floor, then standing or jumping up.
Other exercises in the workout include:
- Plank with knee pulls: In a plank position (holding the top of a push-up), the knees are brought in one at a time at a fast or slow pace.
- Jumping jacks, with or without a thigh toner. The option given is stepping and squatting deeply on one side then the other.
- Speed skaters, with or without a thigh toner
- Football drills
- Lateral lunge with a lateral raise – using a light hand weight, an exerciser leans over to one side, then stands up, lifting the lunging leg off the floor. The arm with the weight is pushed up into the air.
- Three-point stance – jumping up from a position on the ground that looks like the move from football.
- Screamers – One leg is forward and bent, while the other is put back in a slight lunge and then pumped forward and back at a quick pace. The screaming part comes in if Chalene’s instructions to put all the weight on the front leg are followed – the butt gets worked!
Stay tuned to Fantastic Fitness DVDs for The Beachbody® Chronicles - a series of articles about the adventures my husband and I have using ChaLEAN Extreme®, TurboFire®, P90X® and Insanity®.