Friday, February 11, 2011

The Beachbody® Chronicles:
TurboFire is a lot more fun than Insanity!

This morning I did a TurboFire® workout, which made me feel like I was in exercise heaven after I was in exercise hell last week with Insanity®.
   Gone from my TV screen was the stark high-school gym of my nightmares, the setting for Shaun T’s Insanity workouts, and in its place was a cheery, brightly-lit exercise studio, the setting for Chalene Johnson’s TurboFire workouts.
   Gone too were the gasping, moaning and groaning crew from Insanity, and in its place were the happy, smiling faces of the TurboFire crew.
   I was a member of that happy, smiling crew as I did a 45-minute TurboFire class that featured three periods of high-intensity work. I kept up perfectly and only modified exercises once or twice.
   This was in contrast to last week’s foray into Insanity, which killed me with the core 15- and 20-minute sections of the two workouts I did. At some points, I was forced to do the moves at half the pace of the Insanity crew.
   Like Insanity, TurboFire has a scary “don’t do this unless you absolutely know you can” warning before the workouts, but I don’t fear I will be carted away to hospital by paramedics after doing TurboFire like I do during Insanity.
   I’ve got to thank Chalene Johnson for creating TurboFire, a cranked-up version of her wildly-popular Turbo Jam cardio workouts.
   TurboFire offers the same solid cardio work of Insanity, but at a much more manageable level. The plyometrics and sports-style training drills of Insanity are replaced with fast, funky punches, jabs and kicks in TurboFire.
   All of this begs the question, of course – will I go back to Insanity?
   I probably will. After all is said and done, I don’t mind a ridiculous workout challenge so that I’m reminded on a regular basis there is always a new goal for which to strive.
   But today I’m enjoying the knowledge that I finished a challenging cardio workout without melting into a quivering, defeated mass.

Stay tuned to Fantastic Fitness DVDs for The Beachbody® Chronicles - a series of articles about the adventures my husband and I have using ChaLEAN Extreme®, TurboFire®, P90X® and Insanity®.
          
Join Fantastic Fitness DVDs on Facebook

No comments: