Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Beachbody® Chronicles:
Do Insanity® in the morning, and nothing worse can happen to you for the rest of the day!

I once read clever advice: Eat a live toad every morning, and nothing worse can happen to you for the rest of the day.
   I now know how to put this advice into practice – by doing Insanity® in the morning.
   At least that’s how I’m feeling about Insanity after trying my first workout from the popular DVD workout system from Beachbody®.
   I did – or rather, bravely attempted – the Pure Cardio DVD yesterday morning, and I’m still feeling the after-effects with sore obliques and butt. I haven’t been sore from doing a cardio workout in ages.
   As Shaun T himself says as he drops to the ground in exhaustion at the end of Pure Cardio: “That s--t’s bananas.”
   He also says at one point during the workout: “I’m not here to hurt you, I’m here to help you.”
   He could have fooled me!
   This is hard, hard, hard stuff (Beachbody claims they're the hardest workouts ever put on DVD), and I’m going to have to gather all my courage and willpower to give Insanity another try.
   Insanity is Shaun T’s recipe for a “full-body transformation” in 60 days. It is comprised of periods of maximum cardio effort followed by short periods of rest. No weights or special equipment are needed.
   Shaun T, a former track star, uses sports drills and plyometrics (jump training) to get your heart pumping at top speed and your lungs gasping for air.
   In Pure Cardio, the first workout I decided to try from Insanity, the core cardio section is just 15 minutes long.
   But it’s relentless – Shaun pushes you to do jumping jacks, heismans, push-ups, burpees and several other moves at ever-increasing speed. There are just a couple of very short water breaks.
   You can see his very fit-looking crew groaning and grimacing around him. He takes breaks, they take breaks – I took breaks, pausing the DVD to catch my breath. I also gave up on increasing speed and worked at my own pace.
   Although I can perform well in TurboFire®, or hold my own with P90X® Plyometrics, other challenging Beachbody workouts, this was different. It was harder because it was more concentrated, fiery and intense, with a nose-to-the-grindstone mentality that offers a tiny glimpse at the training of an elite athlete.
   In the other Insanity “Month 1” workouts, there are some longer and more frequent periods of rest than in Pure Cardio. I’ll have to give one of these a shot!

Stay tuned to Fantastic Fitness DVDs for The Beachbody® Chronicles - a series of articles about the adventures my husband and I have using ChaLEAN Extreme®, TurboFire®, P90X® and Insanity®.
          
Join Fantastic Fitness DVDs on Facebook

No comments: