Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Workout variety is the spice of life

It’s often been said that variety is the spice of life.
   For me, truer words were never spoken when it comes to working out.
   I can’t get bored about exercising. If I do, it kills my motivation.
   My thirst for variety in workouts has resulted in this blog, which currently has more than 50 reviews of home workout DVDs and is still growing.
   I’m not averse to doing DVDs over and over again. That’s not the case at all.
   I will do DVD workouts repeatedly if they meet four requirements: They challenge my body, they challenge my mind, they get results and they have a likeable creator and host.
   If any of those four things are initially missing, or eventually drop out of the picture, I will move on. There are DVDs I have tried that I have never written about here for that very reason.
   I also like to cover all the bases of fitness – cardiovascular health, muscle strength and flexibility.
   And for that I need to be doing cardio workouts, weight training, toning workouts and yoga.
   These days, this is how I’m making sure I cover all those fitness bases.

Cardio: TurboFire from Beachbody, created by Chalene Johnson. No workouts I’ve ever done on DVD have got my heart pumping like these ones do.

Muscle strength: ChaLEAN Extreme, also from Beachbody and created by Chalene Johnson. My muscles burn with the challenge of lifting heavy weights at a slow pace.

Toning: My go-to workouts to get my butt, abs and thighs burning are Physique 57 and Pure Barre, two types of ballet barre-style workouts inspired by the Lotte Berk Method. Both workouts require an amazing amount of stamina and mindpower.
Element: Pilates Weight Loss for Beginners is an excellent core-toning workout.

Flexibility: Though I stretch after each and every workout, I occasionally do yoga as well. A couple of my favorite yoga DVDs are Element: AM & PM Yoga for Beginners and Trudie Styler's Warrior Yoga.

   I’m going to keep trying new DVDs – it’s just something I enjoy doing.
   These days, I’m previewing Beachbody’s P90X and Insanity workouts and will be trying them soon.
   Stay tuned . . .

Join Fantastic Fitness DVDs on Facebook

No comments: